One thing I’ve learned, as I’ve grown older is the importance of finding happiness and sheer bliss in everyday moments. Not everything in your life will be extraordinary but there will be extraordinary moments in every day. I challenge you to be mindful of your mind, body, soul and those you surround yourself with. Find your passions – follow them. Love what you love. Dust yourself off every time you get knocked down and try again. Laugh along the way and don’t be afraid to laugh at yourself.
Here are our tips for seizing the day:
- Scenic Route – Slow down your pace. Take your time. Don’t rush to work or school or practice. Leave a few minutes early and really explore your surroundings. Maybe keep the car in the garage and walk to school. Breathe in the fresh air, notice the leaves around you changing colours and just be!
- Laughing Fits/Dance Parties – While life can be extremely stressful, I live for the moments when I’m home surrounded by the joyful presence of my roommates. We do some pretty crazy things from impromptu dance parties to laughing hysterically while rolling around on the floor. I live for those moments after a long hard day. So let loose and dance!
- Yoga – Hot yoga has become such a place of strength and power for me. When I’m on my mat nothing else matters – it’s just my breath and me. When I finish my class I feel powerful beyond measure and I’m so grateful for those moments of sheer strength (inner & outer). Try it and I promise you won’t regret it.
- Nourishing Your Body – While eating is a human necessity, it can definitely be extraordinary. Make delicious recipes with foods you love. Nourish your body well and with nutrient rich food but don’t forget to treat yourself too. Our household go-to is quinoa pancakes (sometimes with chocolate chips) and maple syrup. Pancake party! Also, remember to unplug. Share a meal with genuine conversation and friends. Remember when your mom told you to leave your phone in your room? She meant it. It’s a nice rule of thumb to ditch technology at the table and also eat at the table. (Your bed is not the dining room.)
- Spice It Up – Make everyday tasks more fun. Play your favourite playlist while you shower. Run, jump and skip freely! Tell your friends you love them. Volunteer. Doodle when you’re bored. Try a new outfit. Try a new recipe. Get out of your comfort zone. Make everyday tasks more exciting. Have a dance party while you sweep the floors. Get wild!
Embrace your life. Every moment. The good, the bad and the ugly. Love your friends and family. Always forgive. Find courage. And if it doesn’t work out today, try again tomorrow. We hope this list inspires you to seek the adventure, spontaneity and extraordinary moments that are often hidden in the most ordinary places. Happy Friday!
“There’s power in looking silly and not caring that you do.” – Amy Poehler
Let us know what you think!