I started my own photography business while in high school. Photography started as a hobby, and I realized I had quite a knack for it when people around my hometown began asking me to take their family photos. I opened a Facebook page, set up a price list, and it started growing from there. It is now six years later, and I shoot weddings, graduations, convocations, newborn sessions, maternity sessions, engagements, events, and more.
I never considered myself an entrepreneur until I was approached by a provincial organization, Youth Ventures, asking if they could talk about me and my business during their presentations about entrepreneurship at high schools around the province. All of a sudden, I was like “wow, I did this all by myself.” That was such a rewarding feeling. Here are my favorite things about being an entrepreneur:
- I choose my own schedule. I have built my business to a point where I can pick and choose what clients and projects I take on, and work my schedule around also being a student. I get to do two things that I love; it is the best of both worlds.
- I know about financial responsibility. I have learned to manage finances and be responsible with how my money is spent. This means I often have financial stability, which is a wonderful feeling.
- Money is not the only reward. Hearing that a client is pleased with your work is the best feeling in the world.
- But the money is good too! Unlike many, my business is not my livelihood. Photography makes me a good amount of pocket money that I have been saving for traveling.
- I have learned not to undervalue myself. I work my butt off to give clients the best final product I possibly can, and post-processing is a time-consuming process. I should make a fair amount for my time without feeling guilty.
Of course, these are not the only things I enjoy about being an entrepreneur, but these are the ones that stand out to me the most and affect me on an everyday basis. I love my job, and I wouldn’t trade it for the world. I hope these ideas inspire you to take your hobby to the next level and dive into the world of entrepreneurship.
Do you have an idea for a business? We would love to hear about it and we are happy to answer any questions and share advice. We love hearing from you!