Life gets hectic. We get it. Being stressed and overwhelmed has become a “new normal”, especially in university and the work world. But it’s important to realize that sometimes you need to step back, close your textbook and spend a little time treating yourself. After all, self-care is extremely important and is often overlooked. When we’re pursuing our dreams, it’s easy to forget some of the most fundamental things in life. When you’re feeling stressed and overwhelmed we encourage you to take some time for yourself (yes, sometimes it has to be planned relaxation time).
After an extremely long, hard day (or week) it’s important to treat yourself and your body with some love! Here are some of our favourite ways to practice self-care and unwind from the hustle.
- Face Masks – They’re literal treats for your face! Our favourite is ‘Mask of Magnaminty’ from Lush. They’re great for your skin and leave you with an overall refreshed feeling.
- Nails – Pamper your nails with an epsom salt soak. Polish them with your favourite cheerful and inspiring colour.
- Hair – We love a good hair treatment. One of our favourite hair treatments comes from your kitchen’s pantry! It’s coconut oil. Coconut oil is so great for your scalp and hair – helping to moisturize the skin while ensuring that your hair is nice and strong.
- Wine – We really can’t pass up a great wine. There’s nothing like putting your feet up and kicking back with a nice glass of wine. (Our all-time favourite is Nova 7 by Benjamin Bridge).
- Yoga – Hot yoga is a great way to start your day in the morning or unwind in the evening. It’s an hour totally for you – no distractions. We love the positive, self-love approach taken by Moksha studios across Canada (Shoutout to Halifax & St. John’s). Find your sweat!
- Food – Cook yourself a nutritious, healthful and colourful meal. Food is literally your body’s fuel – just like a car needs gas. Treat your body with respect and think twice about what kinds of foods will fuel your busy days. (We always have a little bag of nuts and fruit on hand for when we’re in a pinch.)
- Movies – Sometimes you just need to relax with your favourite film. It’s okay to take those two hours to completely relax.
- Water – Drink all the water, all the time! Staying hydrated is a basic human need that we often neglect. Buy a pretty water bottle that will keep you inspired to stay hydrated!
- Get Outside – Fresh air is so good for you. Get outside, go for a walk, spend a little time in nature. It’s truly rejuvenating.
- Colour – Grab an adult colouring book or a blank piece of paper and doodle away! Express yourself. Enjoy creating and finding that idea of play that was so present as a child.
Take some time for yourself this weekend. Stay grounded. Stay present. Stay positive. You can do this. Everything will be okay. Promise.